While this is a stressful time for all, depending on your situation, there are a range of ways Work and Income may be able to help you and your family. You don’t need to be on a benefit: help is also available to people on low incomes.

If you are in an Alert Level 3 area in the first instance, contact your Case Manager via phone or email. If you do not have a Case Manager, please contact the MSD contact centre on 0800 559 009 or get in touch via MyMSD.

If you have a face to face appointment at one of these sites, the Case Manager will complete the appointment via phone call.

All sites within the Alert Level 3 area are closed. This includes:

  • Huntly Community Link
  • Ngāruawāhia Community Link
  • Dinsdale Community Link
  • Five Cross Roads Community Link
  • Glenview Service Centre
  • Hamilton Central Community Link
  • Hamilton East Community Link
  • Cambridge Service Centre
  • Te Awamutu Community Link
  • Te Kuiti Community Link


If you need financial assistance to buy food, call Work and Income on 0800 559 009. If you’re a client, you may be able to use MyMSD

If you need assistance with accessing food, there are a few options available:

  • Do you have family or friends who could pick up and deliver food to your door. Remember to keep the delivery contactless.

  • For food and other support in the Hamilton City area contact:
    Here to Help U- 0800 568 273 or

  • If you are in an area covered by one of the following local iwi, Pasifika, and/or community groups you may call for assistance:

    • Waikato-Tainui (For Waikato-Tainui tribal members) – 0800 824 684

    • Hauraki Māori Trust Board – 0508 468 288 or 07 862 7521

    • K’aute Pasifika – 0800 252 883

    • Settlement Centre Waikato – 07 853 2192

    • Maniapoto Māori Trust Board – 0800 668 285

    • Ngāti Hauā – 07 889 5049


Food bank support is available in the following areas:

Huntly  | 07 828 9500 or 07 855 1569
Huntly Community Advice Referral Trust/Social Services

Ngāruawāhia  |  Tū Tangata Foodbank – 07 824 9358​

Te Kauwhata  | 07 826 4303
Te Kauwhata and Districts Information and Support Centre

Meremere  |  Meremere Food Bank – 027 855 7617

– The Salvation Army (Hamilton Central) – 07 834 7000
– St Vincent De Paul’s (Vinnies) – 07 847 4044

Raglan  |  Surfside Community Services – 07 825 7543 or 027 443 3154

Te Awamutu  |  Combined churches Food Bank – 07 871 6506

Te Kūiti
– Te Kuiti Food Bank – 021 254 6868 or 021 703 008
– Te Kuiti Korowai Trust Food bank- 027 674 2073 or 07 878 7311


For more information on the following visit: 

If you’re sick, or need time off work because of COVID-19, or if you’re being tested for COVID-19, it’s important you stay home until your results come back.

  • If you’re an employee that’s been asked to self-isolate for 14 days and you can’t work from home, your employer may be able to access the COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme payment to help pay you.

  • If you’re an employee, waiting on a Covid-19 test result, and can’t work from home, your employer can apply for the Covid-19 Short-term Absence payment to help pay you.

Talk to your employer about these support options. Employers can find out more details and how to apply through the Work and Income website.

  • If you’re self-employed, been asked to self-isolate, and can’t work from home you can apply for the COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme payment, or the COVID-19 Short-term Absence payment if you just need to isolate until you get a clear test result.

COVID-19 WAGE SUBSIDY – August 2021 (#4)

Businesses who meet the 40% revenue decline test and other eligibility criteria may choose to apply for a Wage Subsidy payment rather than one of the payments above. Businesses can’t get more than one COVID-19 payment (Wage Subsidy, Leave Support or Short-term Absence Payment) for the same person at the same time.


Contact Work and Income on 0800 559 009 or

  • If you can’t work at the moment, have lost your job, or are working fewer hours: you may be able to get a benefit or some other financial help from us.

  • If you’re struggling to pay your rent or your bills: you might be able to get some help – even if you’re still working, or on a low income.

We can also help you look for work or training and help with the costs of getting started in a new job.