Te Tira Whakamātaki, the recently formed Māori Biosecurity Network is comprised of Māori scientist, researchers, environmental technicians, biosecurity specialists and traditional ecological knowledge (mātauranga Māori) holders.
In collaboration with Māori, we believe a national strategic decision making framework should be developed and implemented that;
1) prioritises affected regions to focus resourcing and effort on local eradication, containment
and long-term management of re-incursions;
2) is committed to long-term ecological monitoring;
3) is ‘future-proofed’ to protect our taonga seeds (seed banking); and
4) is responsive to future climatic vehicles (e.g., cyclones).
Working with Tainui/Waikato and Maniapoto whānau whānui, we have scheduled two hui for your consideration on:
TUESDAY 4 JULY 2017
Hui Tuatahi: 9.00am – 12.00pm
Location: Manu Kōrero, Waikato-Tainui College for Reserach and Development, Hopuhopu, 451 Old Taupiri Road, Ngāruawāhia (Waikato-Tainui)
Hui Tuarua: 2.00pm – 5.00pm
Location: Board Room, Maniapoto Māori Trust Board,
49 Taupiri St, Te Kūiti.
Agenda: (Facilitator: Stephen Wilson)
- Whakatau, karakia, whakawhanaungatanga
- Presentation from Te Tira Whakamātaki, Q & A, discussion
- Presentation from invited agencies re: response to Myrtle Rust and ways that mana whenua can be involved
- Q & A
For your information, please find attached Te Tira Whakamātaki submission to the MPI Myrtle Response Cabinet Paper (Annex One: Te Tira Whakamātaki – Cabinet Paper) and our position statement on the Myrtle Rust response. (Annex Two: Te Tira Whakamātaki – Myrtle Rust Position)
We look forward to meeting with you and discussing; the current state of Biosecurity response across Aotearoa; the intent to forge stronger relationships between regions and science and iwi, hapū; and, the opportunity to influence the Biosecurity System so that it enables and benefits Maori in your rohe to respond to Myrtle Rust and future biosecurity incursions, that will impact our taonga species and our people.
Please advise your attendance and/ or direct any enquiries to:
M: 021 114 3865